-
March 28th, 2004, 10:49 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Gentlemen,
I was hoping that someone here has had some experience with 16mm. More specifically, experience with 16mm editing... So you shoot a film, then, like super8, you transfer to some form of video, now do you have a timecode burned on to that video as well as the actual film? The impression that I am under is that you have a timecode on both the video of the film and the film, you edit the video to where you want it, and from that, using the timecode, you slice up the film to make the final product....is this true? If this is the case, where does one go to "slice" up the actual film - some kind of film editing studio? Also, how exactly does the digital soundtrack, I mean music, interviews, etc get burned onto the film? Can I use my mac to edit the video version of the film and create a digital soundtrack??? I'm quite confused. Any information would be greatly appreciated and I patiently await your response(s).
Tayman Strahorn
-
March 29th, 2004, 02:32 AM
#2
Inactive Member
When you edit on a NLE system using "film" originated footage you add time code to the original "transfer"...Now some cameras like Aaton have their own time code that is put on the film, but we won't go there.
As you edit you create an EDL (edit decision list)this is a numerical listing of all the cuts, dissolves, fades, ect...
Now, 16mm film has "keycode" burned in already. This is then matched to the EDL. The camera original, with the audio and the EDL is sent to a lab that cuts negatives for a master and this is matched to an audio print. After making other master prints/negatives the dupes are made and sent to theaters.
You edit your audio by matching the timecode either from an electronic slate or by reading it directly from the marked dry slate. This is where an Aaton is great because you can use the same timecode to match frame for frame.
This is a very simple explanation. I suggest you buy a copy of:
"The Filmmakers Handbook" published by Plume books.
Hope this helps.
-
March 29th, 2004, 04:54 PM
#3
Inactive Member
OK--So I will assume you are only using Keycode and Video TimeCode.
When you Xfer your film tell the colorist that you want a clean master tape(DigiBeta or BetaSP is what I use) and then a DVCam Simuldub with a TC and KC burn. This will allow you to cut on your Mac and generate an EDL which you then use to do an Online--Using your clean master tapes.
You dig??
Good Luck
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks